1 a device that is very useful for a particular job [syn: contraption, contrivance, convenience, gadget, gizmo, gismo, widget]
2 durable goods for home or office use
EtymologyFrom the English apply.
- /əˈplaɪəns/, /@"plaI@ns/
- Rhymes: -aɪəns
- The act of applying; application.
- An implement, an instrument or apparatus designed (or at least used) as a means to a specific end (often specified).
- Specifically: A non-manual apparatus or device, powered electrically or by another small motor, used in homes to perform domestic functions (household appliance) and/or in offices.
- An attachment, some equipment (or - piece) to adapt another tool or machine to such specific purpose
- (obsolete) compliance
to adapt other equipment
- Dutch: hulpstuk
Appliance may refer to a device with a narrow function:
- Home appliance, routine household tasks, using electricity or some other energy input.
- In medicine and dentistry, custom-fitted appliances to an individual for the purpose of correction of a physical or dental problem such as prosthetic, orthotic appliances, and dental braces.
- Computer appliance, a computing device with a specific function and limited configuration ability
- Fire apparatus, a fire engine or fire truck in British English
Networking of home appliances
There is an increasing trend to network home appliances together, and combine their controls and key functions. For instance, energy distribution can be managed more evenly so that when the washing machine is on, the oven can go into a delayed start mode, or vice versa. Or, a washing machine and dryer may share information about load characteristics (gentle/normal, light/full), and synchronize their finish times so the wet laundry does not have to wait before being put in the dryer.
appliance in German: Elektrogerät
appliance in Japanese: アプライアンス
Charlie McCarthy, accommodation, accouterments, active use, advantage, agent, amenity, ancilla, apparatus, appliances, application, appointments, appurtenance, appurtenances, armament, brassware, chinaware, clayware, consumption, contrivance, convenience, conveniences, copperware, creature, device, dinnerware, drive, duffel, dummy, dupe, durable goods, durables, earthenware, employ, employment, enamelware, equipage, equipment, exercise, exertion, facilities, facility, fittings, fixture, fixtures, flatware, furnishings, furniture, gear, glassware, go-between, good use, graniteware, handmaid, handmaiden, hard goods, hard usage, hard use, hardware, hollow ware, housefurnishings, housewares, ill use, impedimenta, implement, installations, instrument, interagent, intermediary, intermediate, intermedium, ironmongery, ironware, kit, kitchenware, lever, machine, machinery, materiel, mechanical aid, mechanical device, mechanism, mediator, medium, metalware, midwife, minion, misuse, motive power, motor, munition, munitions, operation, organ, outfit, ovenware, paraphernalia, pawn, plant, play, plaything, plumbing, power plant, power source, puppet, rig, rigging, rough usage, servant, silverware, slave, sporting goods, stock-in-trade, stoneware, stooge, tableware, tackle, things, tinware, tool, tools and machinery, toy, usage, use, using up, utensils, utility, vehicle, white goods, woodenware, wrong use